I suggest you ...

"Which project is this?...where am I??": UI is missing key location indicators

It can often happen that a user can find them at a screen where it is not at all obvious (without clicking around or scrolling around) to know immediately, intuitively, and consistently WHERE THEY ARE….

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zpyrkztzodi2es/Screenshot%202014-01-17%2011.04.25.png

I have a couple suggestions…

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1sichjahtpq17mz/Screenshot%202014-01-17%2011.10.07.png

I see this as core UI/Navigation design, not some new refinement or “feature request” .

Feel eager to see this fixed asap.

31 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    David GaianDavid Gaian shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Harald VoglHarald Vogl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its very quiet since weeks, as I can't see any customer service feedback for several threads here. Anyway, this feature is implemented meanwhile, just this thread is not switched to completed.

• David GaianDavid Gaian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well said Alex.

I'm happy to report that Ines, Mario, (et. al.) have been super responsive to all direct communications with support on this.

Short version:
        - they are aware that the UI/UX is still evolving
        - they welcome all user feedback
        - this specific complaint/suggestion (missing visibility of project title identification from all windows) is a known issue

Not sure how long you've been around but I can tell you with 100% confidence that this is a really well organized, super active, and customer/use-case/real-world centric team and iterating protocol running here; one that I've learned to trust and which has rarely disappointed.

Best,
        David

• alexalex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe that this is an oversight, and agree that it needs to be corrected.

If you only have 5 projects, and you click on that project, you can quickly see that the project is highlighted to the color "blue".

But if your selected project is scrolled below the view of the browser window, then there is absolutely no way to reference which project you are in.

So there needs to be an ABSOLUTE way for a user to see which project you are in.

I believe you guys already have a module for that inside the task lists, like say on the dashboard, implemented as breadcrumbs (see link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqmykwhrtzkvpk9/breadcrumbs.png ).

• Inés EspanaAdminInés Espana (Customer Service at Redbooth, Teambox) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

David, Justin. We are aware that the new way in which color coding works has an impact in users who previously colored non favorite projects.
        There is no immediate plans to change this, however we are hearing your feedback and will consider it for future iterations.

Justin,

Well described!

Additional weirdness ALERT: go down in the sidebar, below Favorites, to any of the projects which you (like me, its sounds) have laboriously color coded (and, again like me, really enjoyed!) and then note that when you click on that little star next to the project's name (which calls up the color panel) NOW when you click the "unstar" (what else to call it now :-( ) icon in the upper left hand corner of that little box and then....<<Viola!>> you've just LOST YOUR CUSTOM COLORING!

:-((((((

What in the WORLD is going on here Ines??

Imagine now the outcome of recent changes:
        - no ability to color code groups of projects by organization
        - no ability to have more than one project of the same color code in Favorites
        - .... :-x

HELP!

• JustinJustin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The color feature went away except for favorite projects. I still have projects with a color in my sidebar because the initial release of Redbooth allowed you to color code any project, not just your favorites. Will this be coming back?

• Inés EspanaAdminInés Espana (Customer Service at Redbooth, Teambox) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello guys,
        Your feedback has been forwarded to our product team and we will make improvements in different iterations to help with orientation and navigation.
        Regarding the sidebar, actually it's less cluttered than in Teambox, remember what it was like to have the project navigation in there too? I can see though how this week's deploy may have surprised some users.
        I suggest you work with the project filter and favorites/color feature to give more visibility to your most important projects.

Indeed!
        ...very UN-Redbooth (so many of the changes in UI/UX have been so insightful, elegant, adaptive.... this is still a mess there on the right... how about addition of dropdown triangle controls to BURRY or UNpack the complexity.... and how about at least the top category there in the sidebar being a category or sub-heading called "ACTIVE PROJECT"?

• Harald VoglHarald Vogl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sidebar more relevant. This is crazy. Since yesterday we have the old sidebar of Teambox v4 back, which means its overwhelmed and leads to distraction. Why that.

But yes/no...er:

Ok yes, they're working on making the sidebar more relevant but that does NOT tell you at a single non-scrolling/non-hunting glace WHERE YOU ARE NOW (and now, and now and now).

That space right up at the top: either light grey or above that in dark grey.... one of those spots is begging for (read: where my eyes keep going 1000x/day) to remind myself where i am!

Please @Dev Team: give each page a dynamic Org/Project title!

Please??

• JustinJustin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like this was added today (Jan 24th) by adding the Organization to the sidebar again. I had the same concern as you.

Feedback and Knowledge Base